Now we are going to get to making this thing pretty, ok? I am going to be doing a bit of picture overload to give you as much detail as I can. Each chair will be different, but my hopes is that in seeing how and why I did some things, you will receive the confidence you need to tackle your own chair. You are strong and you can do it! The biggest change we made, is that where this chair was originally put together with a GAZILLION nails, we used mostly staples. I will show you where we used nails, but otherwise we used staples.
Remember where we left off with all those pretty coils popping out at us? That is where we started in the operation. We decided to cover the springs with batting to start with. We covered this the same way you would any chair… starting with the middle of each side, stapling there and working out to the sides. We trimmed around the staples last.
I suggest leaving a little extra room all around the fabric piece. We added A LOT of extra cushion to this chair and it was a good thing we had extra fabric. We were quite tight, in fact, in some places. After we cut our foam to size for the seat we attached the fabric using staples on top of the foam starting at the front middle and then moving to the back of the chair.
As you can see, the front had a harsh edge on it when we finished attaching the front and back of the seat fabric. So, before we attached the sides, we decided to add some batting in that area to soften it up a bit.
Taking careful note on how the chair was originally made by looking back on ALL those pictures we took when we were taking it apart, we positioned the fabric and such the same way it was originally. The bottom of the back was tucked back behind the chair and attached on the bottom.
Then, we attached the sides all the way to the top corner. The hard part was making sure the corner looked nice and neat… and well… I’m a perfectionist… and so…
Lastly, we attached the back. The fabric shop introduced us to this fabulous product with sharp teeth and bendy stuff (I think that is the technical description) to use for this part. We started by nailing it down across the top in every other hole.
And VOILA! She’s gorgeous!
I LOVE IT!! What a great fabric choice. She has already been used and loved by many. And she is SOOO comfy! This was so much fun to do for and with my sweet friend. It is good to have a set of extra hands, but it really was a lot less scary than I had ever thought it would be. Ya’ll should totally try it!
Ta for now!